Special Education Administration
Ingham Intermediate School District is committed to the practice and implementation of a Multi-Tiered System of Supports (MTSS) and will use Response to Intervention (RtI) data and the following considerations to determine the existence of a Specific Learning Disability.
Essential Considerations for Eligibility Decisions:
- Has the student received appropriate instruction in the general education setting?
- Has the student received evidence-based interventions that are targeted to his or her area(s) of need, in addition to core instruction?
- Does the student demonstrate insufficient progress (response to instruction & interventions) and inadequate achievement (gap between student and appropriate peer group)?
- Have appropriate data been collected to assess the student's response to the instruction/interventions, and have those data been shared systematically with the student's parents and/or caretakers?
- What relevant behavior was observed, and how did it affect academic functioning?
- Have data been used to rule out exclusionary factors?
- Does the student require specially designed instruction?
Each local educational agency and public school academy in Michigan is required to publicly post the process used to determine the existence of a Specific Learning Disability (SLD).